Monday, October 22, 2007

My afternoon with Kenz that wasn't




Friday Kenz had a field trip. To see the community at work his Kindergarten class went to our local police and fire stations, the post office, and the library. After seeing these things they then ate at the park while listening to music, which is part of our local Pops at the Park on Fridays. All of these places are located in a central area in our town known as the Municipal Center. Unfortunately I could not attend this field trip because siblings are not allowed. I could, however, meet the class at the park and eat lunch. Kenz was happy that I could meet for lunch, but he let me know that this was the first time I had not gone on one of his field trips. Such guilt. Anyway I worked very hard to get CiCi down for an early nap. Mission accomplished and very proud was I. Of all days CiCi decides to sleep...forever. I am so not the rigid type when it comes to naps or schedules or anything really, but I do believe if a child is sleeping they need that sleep and I hate to wake a sleeping child. So I waited and I waited and then I knew that I must wake her. We were already five minutes late and if I waited any longer...
So I wake her up. I arrive at the park. I spot Kenz' class. I get out of the car with CiCi. I walk up to Kenz. He gives me a quick hug and runs off to play with friends. I say hello to two parents and then the teacher calls all the kids to get in line. To Leave. Two minutes. I was there for less than two minutes. I woke CiCi up from a perfectly nice nap for two minutes, and a quick hug. I watched my sweet boy walk away with his class. He was happy I came. That was really all he needed. To know that I showed up. But man did it hurt to watch him walk away. I have been through this before after having Kenz. I had to miss things with Arby because of the no sibling policy, but this really was a first with Kenz and I wasn't used to it.
Anyway... CiCi and I did enjoy our picnic lunch. We set out our blanket and set out our lunch. We listened to the somewhat relaxing-extremely-interesting-yet-not-so-good-but sorda-tolerable music.
I was amazed by how long CiCi stayed on that blanket. My boys would have lasted 3 minutes. Tops. Unless they really liked the food and then maybe an extra 2 minutes. CiCi sat and ate and played on that blanket for almost 45 minutes before she decided to venture off of it. I could not believe it. The difference between boys and girls???? Maybe so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was at that park frid. too. i took rj and we had some lunch, but this was around 1:30. you must have been there earlier. I did not know the concert was going on, I saw all the people thought was too crowded,then we heard the singing too. wish we had seen you 2!

Sig said...

Yup, there IS a difference! Glad you made it there!

alicia said...

oh ... they are different !!!! sweet.. I am glad you could be there for Ken..send him a big huge from me..