Monday, January 21, 2008

Christmas Party - a great Tradition






Each year my parents' best friends have a Christmas Party. They invite family and friends - old and new. I have been to this party many many times since I was about 7 years old. It is laid back, relaxed and fun. Every one mingles and eats finger foods and appetizers. Nothing is extravagant, nothing is lacking.
Then this musically-inclined family leads us all in Christmas carols. We sing all the favorites sometimes with a piano, or a guitar, or a violin. We are singing, of course, for Santa Claus. and Santa always arrives with a thud that we actually hear on the roof and then a knock at the door - which has always cracked me up. All the kids eyes light up and then they all get to tell their Christmas wish to Santa. My boys never know what to say - which I love. I have never encouraged them to ask for anything. Kenz asked for two special things which he whispered so quietly Santa had to ask him to repeat himself twice. Arby just said to surprise him. It was very sweet. CiCi wasn't much into Santa this year. She liked the singing though and as soon as Santa left we sang some more. The finale song each year is "The Twelve Days of Christmas". We break into groups and are each assigned a day. It is the highlight!!!!!!!!!
This year Christmas carolers just happened to be roaming their way through the neighborhood and knocked on the door. I think they were quite shocked to see all of us right there already singing when they walked inside - they joined in for a song and sang one on their own. I thought it was pretty cool - I've never actually had a caroler show up at my door.
Oh and CiCi found a little chair. She claimed it as hers and crawled between the chair and me all night. Basically she would want to sit with me, but if any other child went anywhere near her chair she would crawl to it and sit in it so that they would not. It was soooo funny watching her be so possessive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds just like some parties we attend every year. A sing-a-long with appetizers and finger foods and a house/yard lighting (100x worse than Christmas vacation) where Santa makes an appearance and now a video of X-mas movie clips precedes the lighting. Great times!
BTW...the blog looks great!