Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Remember that time when you went to jail mommy?

So last week we had our post placement visit with our social worker. She wanted to talk to atleast one of the boys, so we chose a day that Kenz was out of school. Before the social worker arrived I reminded Kenz that he needed to be very polite and to stay calm (he has a lot of energy)and I asked him not to pick up CiCi. I really thought I had covered the main areas of concern.
Of course I also made sure my house was clean and I wanted to keep it that way so I decided to take Kenz and CiCi to Atlanta Bread Company for breakfast.
We get home with 10 minutes to spare, but our social worker is already at the door knocking. Great start, huh?
So my DH gets the door and leads our social worker to the kitchen table. I had planned on talking in the den near the toys so that CiCi would be comfortable and occupied, but since I was in the garage getting CiCi out of her car seat, what could I do?

Next the barrage of questions followed by Kenz' endless supply of answers. Nice.

And then a question is asked, I can't for the life of me tell you what it was, and Kenz says oh and then tell her about when you had to go to jail.
OK no reason to panic, because as my DH quickly points out he must be talking about when we had to get fingerprinted while paperchasing and Kenz was with us and we had to go one at a time into the jail because we couldn't bring a minor into the jail and...
No, that's not what I am talking about.

At which point I am trying to decide how much time to spend on this. Of course you don't want to look like you are trying to hide something, but now you are no longer sure where he is going with this story.
DH to the rescue again. Oh he must be talking about when we had to go Downtown to get those other fingerprints, remember?
No, that's not what I am talking about. You know mom, this was after you brought CiCi home.

At which point we had nothing.

Honey, why don't you let mommy and daddy answer the rest of the questions.
And we proceed.

The rest of our "interview" seemed to go well. Who knows what our social worker thought about the whole jail comment. She never asked us for further explanation and she wasn't around when we finally figured out what Kenz meant.


You know mommy, when you got off the plane and you had to go to that room with those police officers for Ciara.

Immigration.
which was really cool because CiCi became a citizen on the 4th of July, and although it did involve officers it did not involve handcuffs or jail.
Thanks Kenz.
So should we call our social worker???

3 comments:

Michelle Smiles said...

Okay, laughing my butt off over here. That is too funny. If you are really worried, you can call your social worker but if she was concerned she would have either pursued it or requested another background check by your local police. Social workers hear all sorts of odd things out of the mouths of babes and knowing you aren't shady characters, I wouldn't worry about it. (I say this as a former social worker. I would have asked your son and you some follow up questions if I was really concerned.)

Anonymous said...

This is HILARIOUS! Poor Kerry! Ahhh kids ... during my DH's interview at the homestudy stage, I took the kids outside to play, only to have to promptly return b/c my eldest was bleeding profusely from falling on the driveway ... NIIIIICE! Fortunately, my sw had 3 boys and TOTALLY understood --although I felt completely inept!
I promise --this is NO big deal! Just think --soon you might have the fortunate twist of events that I had at the dr's office --at my eldest's 4 yr appt--the ped. asked him what he liked to eat (I shuddered in anticipation of the answer) but to my unbelievable delight --he responded "beans, carrots and broccoli!" LOL! The kid has NEVER even put a piece of broccoli in his mouth! I laughed so hard (and did fess up to the ped that (a) I didn't coach him; and (b) that was actually quite false! LOL!
Anyway, congrats to you, Kerry and I LOVE the nickname Cici! Too cute!!
Jen R. (FTC)

Melany @ Project Anthologies said...

TOO funny! I would have loved to see your face when your son peristed with this topic! I wouldn't bother calling her...unless it will put your mind at ease - and then I'm sure she would just laugh with you about it. At least your SW showed up for her pp visit - ours never did!