Thursday, April 10, 2008

Retired

That's me. At least for a few years. I have always worked. I got a job as soon as I turned 16. I worked after school until I graduated from high school. Then I worked summers during college. I graduated from college in May, got married in July and started working in August. I am a teacher. I taught until my oldest was 2. Then I started working part-time doing payroll/HR for our family business. Some from home, plus two days a week in the office. Over time our company grew. My part-time job slowly became an after hours, from home, full-time job. Fortunately the amount of time and effort required for my job grew as my kids grew and entered school, so all was manageable. Then we added CiCi and my world has been ruled by chaos and very little sleep. So today I oversaw my last payroll. I still have a few loose ends and it is still my family business so I will always be involved, but I am free.

Free from that constant nagging feeling that I have work to do. Free from using every nap time to work. Free from having to be home from a vacation/trip/outing in order to do payroll. Free from a lot of stress and negativity.

It is an amazing feeling. I am already feeling lost from the lack of work e-mails. I have already purchased books to read, yarn to crochet and ribbon so that I can learn how to make hair bows. I have also promised myself that during naps I will start cleaning up and clearing out all the junk that has accumulated in my house. I am already thinking about the extra time that I will have to update my blog :)

Something monumental will have to happen for me to ever work for our business again but I know one day I will teach again. I look forward to it. But for now I am

Retired. Free. Happy.

2 comments:

McMurrays said...

Congrats! Enjoy your sweet little girl every moment. . .
Free nap times are the BEST!
Darcy McMurray

Melany @ Project Anthologies said...

Ahhh - good for you! congratulations and enjoy your mommy time!!