Friday, May 30, 2008

Butter, Boullion Cubes and Diet Coke

CiCi loves these things and it is getting embarrassing. My worst vice is my addiction to Diet Coke and I really would like to stop drinking it - because of the aspartame and all - but I have not yet been successful. I give it up for Lent and I have headaches all the time. So I take Tylenol and eat chocolate and wait for Sunday so that I can down a six pack of Diet Coke (yes, years ago I decided that I could break from not drinking DC all week and indulge on Sundays - I don't really believe that I am supposed to indulge, but I'm addicted and so I do) As soon as Lent is over I am right back to drinking my DC's. I even quit while I was pregnant, only to start right back up again (because, of course, I needed the caffeine for those all nighter's and all dayer's :) )

Back to CiCi - she wants my DC. Always. And she is very demanding about it. And LOUD. So I find myself draining them and then handing the very end of it to her, containing probably more backwash than DC - not sure which is worse - and then I count all the stares I get from "adoring" strangers. Of course I get these stares all the time anyway from random people so I never really know if it is the DC or the intrigue that seems to plague every person whose path I cross.

Then there is her fascination with butter. She loves it. Straight. From the packet. And of course she notices the packets the minute bread is brought to our table. And really what can butter hurt. It entertains her. It keeps her quiet. And if she sees it and we don't give it to her, she screams. I mentioned already that she is very LOUD. So she eats her packets of butter through many a restaurant meals. And we get stares. And again I am left to wonder exactly why they are staring.

The bouillon cubes are reserved for home. It started with me having CiCi peel off the wrapper. She loves peeling off wrappers. Apparently, however, she found the beef bouillon cube tasty. I don't get it. So now I can not cook using a bouillon cube in front of her without her screaming LOUDLY for the bouillon cube. And really this isn't a problem. After all this one only happens at home. Obviously, I could let her scream and their really is no reason to actually give her the bouillon cube, but it does entertain her. And keeps her quiet. And, well, it amuses me.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Hehe- cute! I am the opposite... I *hate* any kind of pop!

Angie said...

Ha ha! I had to laugh at this! Gabbie loves butter too and if we go to restaurants I will just give her a packet or two or three and it keeps her happy. She eats it with her fingers. I told Steve last time we were out I thought people were staring at us but then I couldn't blame them as my daughter is eating butter packets!

Gabbie also wants our diet pepsi. I will either let her take a little sip (normally what is on the rim of the can after I take a drink so it is really nothing) or when I am done I give her a can. Lately though we just have to use a cup instead of a can and it has been be dark colored so she cannot see what is in it!

Mama Bear said...

Isn't that butter thing so incredibly strange??? We have the SAME thing with both of our daughters. They would both be happy to just sit down and eat a stick of butter! I on the other hand (while I do love butter on my veggies) can NOT live without my diet coke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to have my diet coke DAILY and I've noticed now that I am a "stay at home mom", I REALLY need my diet coke, hahahahaha

Rhonda

Michelle Smiles said...

Sabrina hasn't discovered the butter because I avoid buttering things and then giving them to her in public or it is like trying to pick up a greased pig after dinner. And she will slick her hair back with it. It is a mess. But I am ashamed to say that she finally mastered using a straw when I let her have some diet pepsi. I didn't think she would drink it because she hadn't prior to that but that day she figured it out. Now she wants it if she sees me with it but thankfully doesn't really like the carbonation. Lemonade is her big vice...and unfortunately I always drink the sugar free so it always has artificial sweeteners in it. I hate for her to have them but like you said - it is that or screaming some days.