Saturday, December 8, 2007

Who knew???... and random CiCi cuteness






OK so probably everyone but me. The problem with my washer. A clogged drain. What clogged it? Change. From pockets!! Yes, I know I am supposed to empty pockets before placing them in the washing machine and generally I do. If I hear it or feel it. I don't make a point of checking all pockets, though. I've always assumed that you clean out the pockets so you don't wash something valuable or so that the change doesn't clink around in the dryer and drive you crazy. I am always careful to pick up all spare change that has fallen out of the pockets during the wash cycle so that they don't clink around in the dryer. Never did I expect that little pieces of change could cause so much damage.
Here is the damage:
1. I believe all the clothes that were in the washing machine were ruined. THEY STINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. When the repairman got the door unlocked for me, I had to take all those stinky clothes out of the washer. They were dripping with dirty, smelly, mildewy water. It was horribly disgustingly gross. and smelly!!!! I put the clothes in a garbage bag then drug the bag outside and dumped the clothes in a pile. I am going to let them try to dry out and then see what I can salvage. I had to wash my hands 5 times to get rid of the smell!!!
3. The repairman pulled out 3 quarters, a nickel, a dime or two and a penny. You would have thought I had clogged the sucker up with live rats by the way the repairman showed me the offending particles.
4. Today's repair cost $154.00.
5. Today's repair may or may not last. He said there was still a few pieces stuck that he could not get to. If those pieces fall back into the washer then I will be OK. If they fall out into the outer parts of the washer then it would take hours for a repairman to fix it and they would charge me close to 500.00. Like I'm going to pay that!!!!

So I am crossing my fingers that the change falls in. If not, you can bet I won't be buying another Maytag.

and, as you have probably guessed, I will now be checking all pockets.

oh, by the way, he said this is a much greater problem with front-loading washers.

And, which I have not yet mentioned, before all this happened I have never been satisfied with my washer. It has always had a somewhat mildewy smell to it. I asked the repairman about this and he said he hears that all the time with the front-loaders, but that the newer models are getting better. If I do have to get a new washer, I will probably go back to the top loading washers. They seem to have less problems.

2 comments:

Michelle Smiles said...

I loved my front loader in theory. In reality I got tired of buying special detergent (more brands make it now...when I had one only Tide made HE detergent) and that mildew smell. The only way I could get rid of that smell was to clean the seals around the door with a vinegar/water solution every couple of loads and then leave the door open and let it air dry.

Ashley said...

That is what I was going to say...
After I wash a load, I leave the door cracked open to air dry out. The mildew smell comes from water being trapped in the rubber seal around the door. I found that this helps... at least some.