Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Round as a Ball

Earlier in the summer an old friend of mine came over. Half of her was missing. She had lost 55 pounds since the last time I had seen her. She looked great. When I asked her how she lost it all she told me she spent 30 minutes on the treadmill at least 5 times a week. I am not huge into exercising and I am even less into dieting, but 30 minutes on a treadmill seemed very doable. I was momentarily inspired. I worked hard for a week and then we went out of town and I kinda forgot all about it.

A few nights ago in the car my boys were talking about ages and how old people looked and I was stupid enough to ask them how old I looked. My oldest son is old enough to say "the right thing". My youngest son is young enough to say it how he sees it. No malice intended - just the truth as he views it. His answer - I must be older because I weigh a lot. Knowing that he doesn't know how much I weigh, I asked him what he meant. His answer, "well, you know, you are kinda round as a ball".

In his defense, I asked. And to him weighing a lot is a huge achievement. He loves stepping on a scale and weighing more each time. He was not being purposefully mean. But I also know he was telling me what is obviously apparent to anyone who sees me. Half of me is not missing.

As of today, I am officially on a diet, running on a treadmill at least 3 x a week, coaching my son's soccer team, and joining a StrollerFit class.

So I have decided I am making it your (all 5 of you who read my blog :) ) responsibility to ask me how I am doing and if I am losing any weight. :) I need a lot of people to hold me accountable. Otherwise, I'll quit in a week. I know me.

I hope that by the end of this year I will no longer feel the sting of being told I am round as a ball by my six year old. I would love to be able to look back and laugh knowing that my present appearance is a thing of the past. (Honestly, it already makes me chuckle everytime I think about it, but I will find a lot more humor in the statement if/when I lose 50 pounds)

Wish me luck...

9 comments:

opattie said...

Kerry,

I wish you all the best in this endeavor! I think I've picked up almost 30 lbs since Noah and CiCi came on the scene. I keep telling myself that as soon as I can clean my office enough to open my treadmill, I'll be back to using it. (hmmm...maybe I should set a date/deadline instead!)

Gibb said...

Wow...good luck! I'll do my best to bug you about it and keep you on track.

Mama Bear said...

Luck, Luck, Luck, girlie! Nice to have you back. It can be done and this is coming from someone who HATES diets! We did the low carb thing and I am happy to say hubby lost 60 lbs and I am down 43 lbs! I too finally decided that this was it, no more yo yo diets! AND I soooo hate to exercise. I will try to help keep you on track! I used to say, "I wasn't fat, just fluffy"!!!!!!

Melany @ Project Anthologies said...

Hey! Kids... so honest, huh? My son once asked me why my boobies are so "long". Nice. There's no dieting to get those babies back up to where they were before him!

So - good luck with your new exercise plan. I think the key is sticking with it long enough to start to feel a difference. Do you ready www.mizfitonline.com ? She is great. You should check it out.

Angie said...

Way to go! I have been doing weight watchers at work and am down 15 pounds. It is taking time but this time I want to do it for good and not deprive myself so I do give myself treats. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to say but I find his comments really cute. I'm sure you can stay focused if it is something you really want to do. And the next season of The Biggest Looser is coming up - which is always inspirational to watch!

I am going to start exercising again after we get back from our trip - so I hope to be able to loose some weight too. So I'll commit to asking you about your progress if you agree to ask me!

Unknown said...

Hi Kerry! Yes--it was fun meeting you today--and how funny that it was simply by chance! Cici is soooo sweet. We will have to get our gils together soon. By the way, you are not round as a ball--and if you lost 50 pounds you would disappear!!!

Tricia said...

Wishing you so much luck & sending support on your journey!! :)

You can do it!

Anonymous said...

I wish you the best luck! I need to try that and have people hold me accountable but it never seems to work!!! Wish you the best!